Saint Adalbert Parish
Kosciol Swietego Wojciecha

The Church

Saint Adalbert was the second Polish parish authorized by the Archdiocese of Chicago. Its root go back to 1873 when the decision was reached to create a new national parish for Poles within the territorial boundaries of Saint Pius parish. The parish was founded in 1874 and the current church was dedicated in 1884. In its heyday at the beginning of the 20th Century, the parish served over 4000 families and over 2000 children attended its school.

Just as Saint Stanislaus Kostka Parish was intended to be the magnet for Polish immigrants on Chicago's North Side, Saint Adalbert was the intended magnet on Chicago's South Side. However, the tidal wave of Polish immigrants to Chicago at the end of the 19th Century quickly led planners in the hierarchy to subsequently create dozens of additional Polish parishes in the Chicago area.

Some folks will argue that Holy Trinity on Chicago's North Side is the second oldest Polish parish in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Debate is moot. Holy Trinity is technically and officially a mission and not a parish. Further, the creation of Holy Trinity was never authorized and sanctioned by the Archdiocese of Chicago and the founding of Holy Trinity by private individuals in 1872 caused a twenty-year controversey within the Archdiocese.

Holy Masses in Polish are celebrated on Sundays at 1:15 PM and 5:00 PM.

Saint Adalbert Parish
1650 West 17th Street
Chicago IL 60608

Tel: 312 226-0340

The Pilsen Neighborhood

18th and Paulina Streets, view NNE to Saint Adalbert  17th and Wood Street, view W to Wolcott Street and then Damen Avenue
1754 West 17th Street, Ole's Store formerly Olszewski Candy Store 1717 West 17th Street, former residence of Ludwik Rak now an empty lot
1601 South Wood Street, residence of the Stanislaw Bieniarz Family in 1905 16th And Paulina Streets, view W to Wood Street
2040 West 18th Street, residence of the Magdalena Rak Family in 1910 18th and Wood Streets, view SW to Harrison Park
1811 West 17th Street, formerly the Ludwik Rak residence 1927 West 17th Street, formerly the Ignacy Szwandrok residence

 


Photos by Sandra Healy, 2002
Dennis Benarz, Chicagoland USA 2008